Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jungle Monkey Diaper Gift


Howdy! So this weekend is a ladies retreat at my church - the first one I have ever been to - and among the fun things we have planned is a silent auction. The silent auction proceeds go to benefit the Rachel Gage and Michael Ramette Memorial at Lake Texohma which I hear is going to be a nice covered area for people to gather around created by our teens at church. The items for the auction are donated items from church and communtiy members and I definetly wanted to contribute something. Since I have been dabbling in making creative diaper gifts (Find me on etsy.com and Facebook as 'CraftsandCause') I thought I would make something for the auction. At first I was going to donate a pink giraffe cake but after bouncing the idea off a few people I came up with a few guidelines: (1) The diaper gift should be something that was not definititvely girl or boy oriented, and (2) was something that was medium sized as if it was too big it might be too expensive or too large for one to give to someone, other than family, as a gift.

I have been on the lookout lately for cute containers and Target has some that I love right now - they have cute colored metal buckets. Also while I was looking around the floral department of Tom Thumb I found some 'Love Monkey' dolls that were really cute and super afforable. So the items that I used for this craft are ribbon, tissue paper, felt, 35 size 1 diapers, shredded paper, yarn, cardboard, cellophane, the 'Love Monkey' doll, and the metal buckets.

I started thinking - how could I arrange the diapers to make a unique theme with the monkey doll - and then it hit me; my theme would be 'Jungle Monkey'. So I arranged the diapers in the shape of a tree and oriented the monkey around them. For those of you attending the retreat as well, above is a sneak preview and for everyone else above is the web debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment